Making a Curved Bath Side Panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all!

I'm in the process of sorting out my bathroom. The side panel for the bath is MDF and because of the crazy design where it sticks out proud of the bath, water sits and has got in expanding the MDF. The misses suggested painting it to match what we want to do with the bathroom bit I'm skeptical that would work. It would probably just peel off? My idea is to make a new panel using vertical timber cladding, then finish in a suitable waterproof paint. Been racking my brain however! How to I make a curved frame to attach the cladding to? I want it to sit inside the edge of the bath, so water doesn't sit, like the current one. Obviously I would need to extend or replace the skirting. Also I would need to fit an inspection panel at the tap end. The current one pulls out in a complete unit. I just cant think of a way of making the curved frame in an easy way. My only idea is a series of 2x2 frames screwed together following the curve. Problem with that tho, is when the cladding is applied, it won't be a true curve which is the look I'm after. Any of you clever folks on here got any ideas or done this before?? Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• IMG_1791.JPG
    IMG_1791.JPG
    440.3 KB · Views: 48
Sponsored Links
i have used 7.5mm x88mm coverage [95mm]txg matching [cladding ] by selecting cup in the correct direction and chamfering the front off the tongue to help the curve where needed frame at the base the correct radius and tucked under the lip ---now not every ones cup off tea but a possible option

Sponsored Links
Funnily enough just in the process of painting my similar side panel which I also did 5 years ago but it had yellowed with age. Considered doing the uPVC method but idleness took over, might do that next time round.

Attachments

• IMG_20240229_084948139.jpg
    IMG_20240229_084948139.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 29

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back