Making Open Shelving from 28mm pipes? Help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All!

I'm trying to create some industrial looking open shelving a bit like shown here to store all my books

http://www.the-brick-house.com/2009/09/shelving-unit.html

I am trying to do the project on a shoe string so am looking at the cheapest way to get the supplies together. I am only capable of *simple* DIY :)

So far I've found lots of USA based advice about buying the ready cut (and threaded) short sections rather than full lengths of piping but haven't found anywhere here in London that sells such small sections. Is there anywhere in the UK that sells these? Or anywhere that I can get piping cut and threaded to size. I've been looking at 28mm copper piping which I will paint black but open to any other ideas!

So far I've only got as far as looking at the screwfix catalogue so any help with where the best place to get these supplies.

Thanks Guys! :)

Sponsored Links
thats pretty cool

you could do it in 22mm probably, end feed elbows and tees, soldering it together, and "wing back elbows" to help fix it to the wall.

plumbers merchants like pts, grahams, plumbcentre etc would probably be cheapest

Thanks... yeah 22mm would be fine too.

I guess cutting and soldering would be cheaper but frankly I think that's asking for trouble with my skills :(

I would not even contemplate making anything like what's in the picture in that link out of 28mm copper, let alone 22mm. Not strong enough IMO.
Steel pipe maybe, but copper, no.

If it has to be copper, try to get table Y half hard copper. It is thicker, therefore stronger.

Sponsored Links
Hello All!

I'm trying to create some industrial looking open shelving
I am trying to do the project on a shoe string so am looking at the cheapest way to get the supplies together. I am only capable of *simple* DIY :)

? Or anywhere that I can get piping cut and threaded to size. !

Thanks Guys! :)
You need some half inch black iron barrel , and screwed fittings. then hacksaw, pipevice and a set of dies . The pipe used to be left lying around sites by the Gas Board - yards of it :rolleyes: . I still have a set of dies . The only place you could get it cut+ threaded is on a site where the Hairy Arsed Pipefitters are working ;)

I am trying to do the project on a shoe string so am looking at the cheapest way to get the supplies together.

I've been looking at 28mm copper piping which I will paint black but open to any other ideas!

Have you seen the price of 28mm Cu and fittings?

Why not hire a thread cutter, and buy long lengths of 1/2 BSP black iron.

http://www.jacksonbc.co.uk/Jakhire/Pumps-and-Plumbing/Manual-Ratchet-Threader-1-2-2/

It may work outt cheaper than buying small sections, if you can find them

How about contacting your local plumbing college? Give them detailed drawings and for a small fee, they can make up the pipework.

This would be good experience for the trainees.

Totally agree with expertgasman, and the original author, about using steel barrel pipes.

When decideing on pipe size, remember 1/2" barrel will have an outside diameter of 3/4", 3/4" OD 1" etc. Also give the actual size of the piece. Not pipe sections as there are things like 'Z' factrors to consider. ;)

Try keyclamp I think they do smallest about 30mm, no threading just cutting with hacksaw or quicker with disc cutter, all fittings do up with an allen key

Another alternative may be 20mm or 25mm electrical conduit and fittings.
Available in black enamelled or galvanised steel.

Also if the pikies see those shelves they'll be knocking at your door pdq asking if you want them anymore! :LOL:

Hello Lillo - I hope you get this message!

Did you manage to build your shelving? I'm trying to do the same thing and encountering the same issues only five years later!

Please let me know if you do get this - I'd be interested to know how you did it/how far you got.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back