Making up additional kitchen units to match

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I need some help from any carpentry experts on here.

I want to try and build a couple of extra units in an old kitchen that predates (comfortably) the likes of Howdens etc with the carcasses and fronts all made of pine.

I would like to give this a try myself and need some direction on (a) the actual carcass build - links to any useful guides / videos, and (b) where could I source the fascia board (if that’s even the right word?) for the front panels to match?

Any help or tips much appreciated.
Thanks
Jem

Attachments

• 8FF9C828-8D21-4025-99D9-60A83838E222.png
    8FF9C828-8D21-4025-99D9-60A83838E222.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 159
Sponsored Links
i had to make some side panels to a 2007 MFI kitchen and used a router to make them.

And made doors with T&E effect , along with a shaker style Toilet Cabinet and matching on part of the wall

Have a look at Peter Millard on youtube, he has some videos on making cabinet carcass and shaker style doors
Cabinet Basics series

Maybe use Moisture Resistant MDF or some pine V groove T&E cladding
What size is the gap between the groves and how thick are the door panel and in total

Last edited:
If it was me, I'd buy some 9mm grooved MDF (e.g. but you prob don't need a full sheet) https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/mdf...oved-mdf-panel-2440mm-x-1215mm-x-9mm/p/378622 and some 9mm ungrooved MDF. Cut the ungrooved into strips and lay on as a frame around the grooved (cut to full size). Securely glue it all together, round off the sharp edges slightly, to make an 18mm thick door. There will be some gaps along top/bottom where the grooves show - some 2 pack filler will sort that. Prime, paint, job jobbied.

For the carcasses you can buy 18mm faced MDF/Chipboard to make up the sections, and then dowel/biscuit/screw together. The hardest thing is to cut a straight, chip-free edge where it shows - a track saw is the best tool, but expensive for a one-off - you would be better going to B&Q and buying an off the shelf carcase. They are cheap as chips, and perfectly serviceable.

Sponsored Links
Just purchase a carcass from b and q and then paint it to match.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back