Management of garden bushes (ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

We have adjacent fuchsia, rose bush and oak tree in from garden. (I think)

We’ve neglected over the years, only having contractors to prune every few years. Just wondered what advice there was for cutting back in the autumn?

Photos show how big they’ve grown since last cut back two years ago.

Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• IMG_1261.jpeg
    IMG_1261.jpeg
    654.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1260.jpeg
    IMG_1260.jpeg
    623.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1262.jpeg
    IMG_1262.jpeg
    675.5 KB · Views: 56
Sponsored Links
Why not ask the contractors when they next arrive?
I usually cut back our fuschias in spring, just before they get ready to begin the year ahead. They grow very quickly and grow plenty of flowers by July, through to October. Is your Oak a dwarf variety? Roses are roses, just deadhead 'em as you go, watch out for 'liver spots' on the leaves or white fungus on the branches and all will be well.

Why not ask the contractors when they next arrive?
I usually cut back our fuschias in spring, just before they get ready to begin the year ahead. They grow very quickly and grow plenty of flowers by July, through to October. Is your Oak a dwarf variety? Roses are roses, just deadhead 'em as you go, watch out for 'liver spots' on the leaves or white fungus on the branches and all will be well.
Thanks. Only had the “contractor” around for big jobs. (Two in last ten years) Oak tree- full version, according to contractor. We didn’t plant, so believe it was from bird shot?

Sponsored Links
That oak tree will grow into a monster and it looks pretty close to your house. I would dig it out and either move it away from the house or donate it to a park, school or someone with the space to let it grow.

If you prune the oak back you can keep it quite happily - I'd probably take it down to half it's height in the next month or so...

Here's how small you can keep the oak tree!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back