mantelpiece, one better than a railway sleeper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

First post - but i have been keen reader of the forums for a while now.

Hoping to put a chunky bit of railway track above my gas fire as the mantelpiece. I hope it will be distinctive and unique.

Does anyone here have an idea as to where i could buy some railway track for this job?

The internet, less impressively, keeps trying to sell me hornby rail track.

Further delving indicates that scrap yards may not be a good place to look, as the UK gov wants to discourage theft of railway, causing scrap yards to give it a wide birth.

Any alternative suggestions?

Also has anyone attempted this? i have not found any examples in google images.

Sponsored Links
railway track is somthing like 95[bullhead]/110 125 lbs a foot dependant on type
2.2lbs in a kilo 3.25 foot to a metre

ok that weight may be per yard can remember its over 20 years since i was a train driver :D

Sponsored Links
I had a length of track from a narrow gauge years ago, tried cutting it up into shorts sections as paperwights and painting, never got any takers on ebay! Not sure I would want one as a mantlepiece :confused:

I think he means the metal rail.
Not the sleeper.

Thank you for your replies.

I had haunting images of the railway track comming off the wall and hurting the little one. I also decided not to completely bury cables that would feed signals to the TV I has planning to mount above the mantlepiece. So I have gone for a more traditional fireplace. I can hid cables in the hollow bit, and not squash the little one (aslong as I securely fix it to the wall).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back