Marley roof vents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have built an extension and used Marley flate tiles.
Tile vents were fitted on the second row up.
However, during inclement weather, usually strong winds and hail, the hail is driven through the vents an ends up lying on the surface below the vents which is now a plasterboarded ceiling.

I contacted Marley and they suggested that the hail might be blown under the tiles and through the hole in the sarking around the vent outlet.

to disprove this I fastened clear bags around the vents except one. this one had hail deposited below it, whilst the remaining three along that elevation had water in them (presumably melted hail).

I got back to Marley but as always these folk like to take your money but stick their heads in the sand when there's a problem.

Anyone any suggestions?

I'm off to work soon so I am not being rude if I don't get back straight away!!

Sponsored Links
HI

sorry for the delay.

I would assume they are the second one down, the Tile Vent Terminal.
They are concrete style wth a hooded vent, if that helps any.

I've not has any problem with them, maybe the angle of your roof is low? A bit difficult without seeing it and what are you using the ventilation for?

Sponsored Links
The angle of the roof is about 40 Degrees.
The vents were stipulated by the architect. I live in Scotland so I don't know if they're more keen about these things or not. Other than venting the roof space, that's all I know. There is a total of 11 vents in the roof space plus two vents for the shower rooms.

I must admit that this is not a regular occurence and tends to happen when the wind is quite strong and only when it hails.
Don't forget that most roofs are put on, followed quickly by the ceilings and insulation. The latter will allow the hail to sit on it until it thaws and dries up. Who is going to go and check this every time there's adverse weather? It's just that my roof has been in place since about August and I have only just got round to plaster boarding the ceiling!
:eek:

For long term I think it maybe better to do away with the roof tile vent and have a vent fitted under the first row of tiles or soffit vent with some ridge tile vent for circulation of air flow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back