masonry paint help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi people,
I want to give the house a new lick of paint, but am unsure of a few things. I've decided on dulux weathershield but am unsure about smooth or textured.

1) what's the diffference between the two?
2) I'm not sure about my surface - whats the difference between render and pebbledash? Mine is a bumpy surface which looks like it has irregular sized stones sticking out. It is flaking in some parts. How should I remove this to make the surface suitable to paint on?
3) There are a few cracks on some of the surface, will either of the paints fill these, or should I fill these?
4) Is the finish of textured and smooth similar, because the previous paint looks smooth over the bumps?
5) I plan to put 2 coats on - which of smooth or textured would give a more durable and weather resistant finish?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
1...ones smooth, ones textured! lol..ok seriously...the smooth stuff goes further and is easier to apply...textured also holds moisture and is more prone to mould.

2...Render is generally regarded as smooth...sounds like you have either spar dash..pebbledash..or rough cast..you need to remove any flaking paint.

3...textured is ok for really fine cracks..otherwise rake them out a bit and fill them with exterior filler

4...See 1

5...Either,,two coats os good practice..better protection.

thanks zampa,

I think it is pebbledash. I've tried removing as much as I can with a stiff-bristled brush, but there's always a rough edge between where the paint has come off and the paint that hasn't come off. If you see what I mean. At the moment it's still white (old painted parts) with grey areas (pebble dash where piaint has been brushed off.)
Will the new paint help blend the bare areas with the old paint?

I assume I don't need to get every bit of paint off.

Also, with all this wet weather how long should I wait for the walls to dry before painting them. I've heard that if they don't dry out fully, any new paint could seal in dampness and cause big problems. How long should I wait approximately, before I paint? I can't see us having more than a few days of dry weather, once this d**n rain eventually stops. :(

Sponsored Links
It will help a bit but your always going to see a difference because the stuff thats painted now will be smoother and the light bounces off it differently..and will give the imprseeion its lighter in colour

I would give it as long as you can after the rain has stopped..how long it takes will depnd on the soaking its had, the surface, and how warm/dry/windy it is after.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back