Match Ruling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/oct/04/analysis-pub-premier-league-rights?newsfeed=true

The pub landlady has won her battle to screen football matches in her pub via foreign sattelites so saving her a small fortune.
This should open the floodgates for other pub landlords and really hit Sky in the pocket! :D

What I don't understand is how are these foreign sattelites picking up the signal and cannot Sky block the signal at source ie the camera crew filming the match using closed circuit.

I can't understand how the signal is being picked up by all and sundry and also why Sky can't kill it.

Anyone know how this works?

Sponsored Links
The whole point though is,,, If you were a pub landlord,,, Would you A, Want to pay Sky £800 a month for their broadcasts? Or B,Pay Nova £44 a month for the same matches??.
Perhaps in view of the ruling, Sky will now look at reducing the costs to the thousands of pubs up and down the country who want to attract punters through the doors by showing football live.

Perhaps in view of the ruling, Sky will now look at reducing the costs to the thousands of pubs up and down the country who want to attract punters through the doors by showing football live.

and probably try to recoup their losses from domestic viewers :cry:

And when the next round of contract discussions come up clauses will be put in place by the football authorities preventing the foreign companies transmitting here --- along with a huge price hike for them.

Sponsored Links
And when the next round of contract discussions come up clauses will be put in place by the football authorities preventing the foreign companies transmitting here --- along with a huge price hike for them.

Yes, already the Premier League are looking at selling the rights to show matches on a Pan European basis, to just one broadcaster. (no prizes for guessing who that will be)

Perhaps at some point in the future rights to show sports worldwide will be sold to the highest bidder (who can then lease certain sports/matches etc to other broadcasters) Is it right and fair though that only one broadcaster should possibly have a European monopoly to show matches? Might as well do away with the Monopolies Commission now.

I've watched Premier league matches on foreign TV, via the web..why are we denied watching? Surely it in the interest of the Prem league to bring viewers in, for free? To introduce them to the sport?

I used to have a decoder on analogue Sky, for Filmnet, to watch German films, broadcast in English. It was rubbish, lost sync all the time. Not ladies losing lip sync with members...but vertical lock.

Back