Matching Paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, new to this forum but so far have read alot.

I have just filled a hole in my wall about the size of a tennis ball. I have it all smooth and ready to paint. However I do not have any of the paint that was used when the house was built. Is there anyway I can match the paint because I really cant afford to paint the whole wall again. Should I call the builders and ask who they used for the painting and see if they can tell us what was used?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
hi, might sound a bit silly here but ,

have you tried a colour card ?

to do this you might want to try and get hold of , say , dulux , leyland, johnstones , B&Q , the more the better as thepaint manufactures have slightly different shades to each other . there are over 4800 different paint colours available .

ex --a dulux colour would not neciserily touch up with a johnstones colour paint .

hi, might sound a bit silly here but ,

have you tried a colour card ?

to do this you might want to try and get hold of , say , dulux , leyland, johnstones , B&Q , the more the better as thepaint manufactures have slightly different shades to each other . there are over 4800 different paint colours available .

ex --a dulux colour would not neciserily touch up with a johnstones colour paint .

Sorry about bumping this up but 4800 colours, if only life was this simple. The Johnstone's new system32 tinting machines do at least 15,000 colours.

And don't forget to go over first with a mist coat, I know its a smallish area, but it will still suck all the moisture out of the new paint and it'll fall off! Just mix up 30%water to paint and leave for a couple of hours before you do the final coat.

However hard you work on a colour match, I don't think you're going to get this area to blend in completely.

I use the Johnstones colour system a lot and they are really good, however, I don't think you can get it in less than 1 Litre (about £8). Dulux Trade Centres will mix up test-pots approx 100ml but again you're looking at about £6 a go.

For the sake of a few extra quid you could do the whole wall (about £14 for 2.5L Johnstones colour match) and if its a smallish room you could do the whole lot!

Sponsored Links
And don't forget to go over first with a mist coat, I know its a smallish area, but it will still suck all the moisture out of the new paint and it'll fall off! Just mix up 30%water to paint and leave for a couple of hours before you do the final coat.

However hard you work on a colour match, I don't think you're going to get this area to blend in completely.

I use the Johnstones colour system a lot and they are really good, however, I don't think you can get it in less than 1 Litre (about £8). Dulux Trade Centres will mix up test-pots approx 100ml but again you're looking at about £6 a go.

For the sake of a few extra quid you could do the whole wall (about £14 for 2.5L Johnstones colour match) and if its a smallish room you could do the whole lot!

Johnstones do a 250ml tester pot in vinyl matt for £3.23 inc vat

He's in Australia where they have different paint. He only posted once and never came back.
He posted on: Sun Nov 12, 2006

Bet he got it sorted :rolleyes:

Thanks Big Vern, didn't know that.

Australia? not me, alive and kicking (just!) in Montrose.

rtedge - not being flippant, but couldn't you just hang a picture or position a houseplant over the offending hole until you're ready to do the lot?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back