materials

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not had a response from another site, but if you can any of the following questions then thank you.
To cut a long story short I have been let down by a builder (of british origin) in France. I have lost some money , but maybe there is a positive in this, I cannot afford to employ another builder so I am going to have a go at rendering myself.I visited the local Materieux and asked for the marerials required in rendering a house, this is what he suggested;-

Chaux pure blanche ( hydraulique naturalle 35kg bag )
Cement gris multi-usages (portland)
Sand feels a bit coarse - he said it was straight from the beach!

From reading other posts I believe I need a mix of soft and coarse, will I get away with just coarse?

They don't seem to know what a bell casting is? In France they render down to the ground

Part of the wall is made from wattle and daub, part brick and part straight mortar . do I wash down the wattle and daub and will it stick?

Could you give me some indication of the mix for scratch coat and finish coat, I see little agreement on this on the forum pages. Possibly 3 sand to 1 cement plus waterproofer for scratch and 1 cement to 6 sand apply plasticiser and waterproofer to finish coat?

This may seem unusual but I am thinking of making up 1 metre grids made from wooden battens and apply the render coats as I am such an amateur. What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Sand feels a bit coarse - he said it was straight from the beach!
:eek: :eek:

This may seem unusual but I am thinking of making up 1 metre grids made from wooden battens and apply the render coats as I am such an amateur. What do you think?
your rendering will look like a chessboard when finished. :eek: :eek: :eek:

bl00dy french. :rolleyes:

get 'roughcaster' over there he'll sort you out. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back