Matt emulsion everywhere

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought a house and the vendor has put white matt emulsion over everything and I mean everything; walls, ceilings, covings, light fittings and switches; architraves and skirtings; banisters and doors etc. What is my best solution in remedying this?
It's likely that no keying-in has been done over the previous gloss and this'll be flaking off soon, no doubt.
I don't really want to be replacing all of the woodwork and starting again if I can help it.
Any advice?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can use meths to soften the paint on the light fitting. Leave it for a while and it will become soft enough to remove with your fingernail. The rest, sand it and apply an appropriate paint.

Emulsion over woodwork, whilst not advisable, it isn't the end of the world, assuming the original paint was keyed sufficiently- on the balance of probabilty, that didn't happen though.

Sand it back and all should be good.

The damp cloth trick will work, but only if they used inferior products such as low latex paints.

Sponsored Links
After removing the paint, electric fittings can be polished up like new with Solvol Autosol metal polish.

On woodwork, try sanding the paint down, see if you can get a sharp edge. If you can, then repaint, but if it keeps flaking then the adhesion is not good, burn it off and start again.

Twice now we've bought a house from people who just slapped paint on. I suppose it's what most people do, but if one wants to do things properly, it's a right pain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back