Max number of fused spurs off a final ring

It was never a rule, only a guideline.

And if it stopped hard-of-thinking jobbing housebashers from installing 1 socket circuit for an entire house it wasn't pointless.

Sponsored Links
It was never a rule, only a guideline.
Ok.

And if it stopped hard-of-thinking jobbing housebashers from installing 1 socket circuit for an entire house it wasn't pointless.
Perhaps the hard of thinking think (or whatever they do instead) 100 square metres is 100 metres square especially if written 100m² if they know what the little '2' means.

Where does it say that spurs (fused or unfused) can only come from sockets in the first place? ... The former could originate from an FCU attached directly to the socket circuit cable, and the latter could come from a junction box. As could the supply cable for an FCU. ... Even if you believe that you may have no more spurs than sockets that doesn't mean that any of them have to come from sockets.
Quite so .....
In addition, as EFLI eluded to (and as recognised in App 15 of regs), spurs can originate from places other than sockets - e.g. JBs and FCUs 'on the ring' (the number of which is 'unlimited'), even the MCB. ... The number of sockets therefore does not necessarily impose an absolute physical limit on the number of spurs.

Kind Regards, John

It was never a rule, only a guideline. ... And if it stopped hard-of-thinking jobbing housebashers from installing 1 socket circuit for an entire house it wasn't pointless.
Maybe ... but did/do small houses necessarily have more than 100m² worth of rooms served by sockets? (my my reckoning, in English that's about 1078 ft²)

Kind Regard, John

Sponsored Links
A smallish two-storey semi has about 100m² of floorspace if you don't get picky and subtract bathroom & WC.

A smallish two-storey semi has about 100m² of floorspace if you don't get picky and subtract bathroom & WC.
That's what I thought, hence why I was questioning your suggestion that the "100m² rule/guidance" might have been useful if it "stopped hard-of-thinking jobbing housebashers from installing 1 socket circuit for an entire house". It sounds as if it quite often wouldn't even have achieved that!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back