Max working pressure of brass compression fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I know this strictly isn't a plumbing question, per se, so apologies in advance.

I have just recently built a new workshop in my garden, just for hobbyist woodworking and messing around mainly. And in here I want to run air line up the walls and over the roof to keep from having hoses dragging the floor like they used to in my old garage shop (which is incredibly annoying and dangerous).

So, to my question. I already have a few lengths of 15mm copper pipe and a load of brass compression fittings from another project but can't find any information on whether this is a good option (max pressure wise) to use for my goal. Compressor is limited to maximum 10 bar but the regulator is always set to 8 bar.

I would only need to buy 1/2" BSP end elbows if it was possible.

I looked at JG Speedfit airline pipe but it would cost about £200 to do it when I already have stuff there.

Google suggests copper is ok for airlines (non corrosive etc) but each application seems to be solder ring joints an no one mentions compression fittings (which would make adapting the system in future easier (if I want to run another branch across to the back of the shop for example).

Again, apologies it's not strictly plumbing related but hoped someone might know the answer to the title question... "how much pressure can a brass compression fitting survive under?"

Thanks all in advance.

Sponsored Links
Don't think you'll have an issue with compression fittings, if I remember correctly standard olive fitted compression are rated to at least ~15Bar

Don't think you'll have an issue with compression fittings, if I remember correctly standard olive fitted compression are rated to at least ~15Bar

Thanks, I have a Pegler PB300 lever valve that I was going to use to act as a shut off when not in use to minimise the "constant pressure" but 15 bar would be more than enough as I never need the compressor above that (runs 3 brad nailers and a random orbital sander).

1. Have a look at Pegler Kuterlite fittings. Max pressure for 15 mm elbow is 20 bar at 40 degrees.
2. If you have existing fittings you want to use, you could wet (NOT air) pressure test them.

Thanks, how would I wet pressure test them?

Sponsored Links
15mm pipe has wall thickness 0.7mm, so at 10bar wall stress is < 10MPa. Allowable stress just found on the web 40MPa, so no problem. Others have commented on fittings allowable pressure.

We used to look after a large joinery manufacturer's shop.
All air lines in copper, as you can imagine owners very keen on no hot work so used compression for all alterations.
Never had any problems

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back