Maximum depth allowed for a blockwork channel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am helping to prepare my extension for electrics before the electrician arrives to wire it all up.

What would be the maximum depth allowed for a vertical channel in blockwork? I found one post that said 1/6 of the depth of a block and another which said 1/3.

Also, does the same maths apply to brickwork?

thanks in advance.
Alex.

Sponsored Links
i would have thought 1/6th depth sounds right.

is it essential you bury the cables into the masonry. can they not be swallowed up by the thickness of plaster?

I had been told that cables can be damaged during plastering, so I thought I would sink them and cap them just to be safe. Some plasterers insist that they are done this way. (based on experience from some of my family over the years) i haven't contracted plasterers yet so playing safe. :)

Sponsored Links
rednaxela said:
I had been told that cables can be damaged during plastering, ......

Then I would avoid this type of 'plasterer'

The only requirement for a plasterer, is that the cables are fixed securely to the wall so that they can actually plaster around and over them.

Check out plastic or galv. steel sheathing - its been used for about 50 years to fix over the cables on the wall surface.

I can't really think of a good reason why you need to chase walls in a domestic environment for one or two cables

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back