mayonaise on Filler cap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All

Please could someone advise me, I have a Skoda Octavia Ambiente with 29,000 miles on the clock 2003 reg 1.6i . Recently I notice a little bit of what looks like mayonaise on Oil Filler cap but when I withdrew the Dipstick it was clear with no mayonaise on it all. Further checked the Oil and all appears to be fine, I have no loss of coolant and car does not over heat. It had been serviced about 3 Months ago by a Skoda Dealer. Is this mayonaise to be expected after an Oil change or should I be worried? Car runs like new though.

Sponsored Links
how many miles a week do you drive, and how many journeys is that?

What is the temperature gauge showing?

Usually caused by condensation or coolant in the oil.

In your case it seems as though its condensation from the cold air hitting the top of the hot cocker cover.

Just keep an eye on coolant level and oil level, but should be fine.

All engine covers are in place?

I get this quite often at this time of year. I only use my car for short journeys so you get a bit of condensation building up in the engine as it doesn't get chance to reach operating temperature.

If the oil in the sump is clean then you should be ok.

Sponsored Links
Its the product of the closed circuit crankcase ventilation system...in the old days, when the crankcase could vent to the atmosphere, this hardly ever occurred.
John :)

Dear All

Many thanks for all the replies, the car only does about 3 miles a day going to and from the station thus probably true it does not reach OPerating Temperature though I did do a run to Gatwick last FRiday. All the engine covers are in place as I only look at the coolant and oil levels which have not moved since car was last serviced by Skoda in June this year.

If you take it out, perhaps on a shopping run once a week, and get it up to temp, this will boil off any moisture in the oil, which will do nothing but good.

There is a faint chance the thermosrat is faulty, if it does not reach "normal" but that is very unusual with modern cars.

BTW running the heater full blast cools the radiator water.

Also check your service schedule. VAG consider this type of driving (lots of small runs) extreme conditions and recmomend the oil is replaced every 6 months on a lot of their engines.

Sponsored Links
Back