MCB keeps tripping

When the 2nd shower was installed, (I didn't install it).

Are you sure?

A quailfied person did and said the wiring was ok.

Did you get any paperwork? I bet you didn't - no Cert or even an invoice.
Paid cash?

Sponsored Links
It was someone in the village, but they have since moved away.

Yeah the shower been ok for say 2 years or more. Then I had the Mira Sport (more powerful) one installed, about 9 months ago and that worked ok. Then recently in the last month every now and then it's started triping. Not always when it running though, like I come home one evening and the breaker is off!

nesty1760 said:
Then recently in the last month every now and then it's started triping. Not always when it running though, like I come home one evening and the breaker is off!

Tripping when the shower ia not in use...... Sounds dodgy, very dodgy.

Under sized cable buried in insulation, PVC crisped or even charred leading to earth leakage tripping supply.

Not good.......

Yeah the shower been ok for say 2 years or more. Then I had the Mira Sport (more powerful) one installed, about 9 months ago and that worked ok.

Sounds a bit like 'Trigger's' broom "I've had the same broom for 20 yrs 2 new heads and 3 new handles but still the same old broom"

Sponsored Links
nesty1760 said:
Well obvouisly this has all come to light now. The orignal person was supposedly qualified at the time, but now come to light but maybe he wasn't. I wouldn't say I was an idiot, conned maybe yes.
I didn't say that you were an idiot, I merely asked you who you thought was an idiot, and my question was based on this statement of yours:

Though afterwards i did uprate the shower...

However, now you say that someone else changed the shower, so this statement of mine:

3. You later changed the shower without checking the current carrying capacity of the cable or CPD.
now becomes this:

3. Someone you say was qualified changed the shower for a higher rated one, and although they said that the current carrying capacity of the cable was adequate, they didn't notice that the CPD was under-rated.

It worked ok for 2 years now and now starts tripping. Hence my question about further testing maybe required.
I don't how you feel about all this, but given the number of 'facts' that you've been drip-feeding during the topic, and the questionable competence of anyone who's been involved in your installation, then now would be a good time for you to engage someone who actually knows what they're doing.

Tip: don't even think of opening the yellow pages.

:evil:
Someone comes on here asking for help and all you do is moan and groan about his questions.
As said MANY times now this IS a DIY forum and IF someone gets stuck on a project then this place is designed as a way of seeking expert advice.
:evil:

festa said:
Someone comes on here asking for help and all you do is moan and groan about his questions.
There's nothing wrong with his/her questions, merely the facts that keep changing.

As said MANY times now this IS a DIY forum and IF someone gets stuck on a project then this place is designed as a way of seeking expert advice.
Well, "MANY" is a relative thing. It might feel to you like it's said a lot, but it really isn't. In any case, there's no such thing as a free lunch. All advice comes at a cost, and the cost on this forum is that the novice, or DIYer, call them what you wish, behaves reasonably politely, sanely, honestly, and is willing to listen.

You won't find this rule published anywhere officially, but I can assure you that it is one. :D

softus....
Just read down from the OP`s main question.....on two accounts he stated thanks for the advice...ill get someone in to look at it....
So what snowballed from there?....this!

festa said:
So what snowballed from there?....this!
You have a somewhat blinkered view of what happens on a topic.

Many people read topics without ever joining the forum, let alone posting a reply to something they've read. When the OP said that someone had checked the cable, I challenged that, because it's important for lay people to understand that "checking" is (a) open to interpretation and (b) more involved than just looking at it (for example).

If you want to understand why it snowballed, then see if you can work out how many shower units have been installed, and by whom, and when. And see how many posts you have to read to find the answer, when it should have been just one. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back