MDF used outside ?????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We have a dwarf wall ready for a conservatory to go on , can i use MDF on top of the wall to make it look a bit better also to use it as a bench untill we get our conservatory.

I was thinking of painting it with PVA then gloss white. will this keep hte weather out it wont bend as the wall is under it

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't use MDF outside for anything, you can waterproof it, but the effect will be limited.
You'd be better off using plywood and sealing that, if it's only a temp measure.

If you must go with MDF then buy the external variety, this usually has a grey core and will still need sealing on all faces and edges.

J

Why don't you buy a piece of UPVC fascia and glue that on using some PU adhesive or similar.

B&Q sell lots of different lengths and widths and you can be sure it'll be watertight.

Sponsored Links
Yes have a look in B+Q, then have a look on the internet for similar product and you will probably save yourself a fortune!

Scaffold board, strong, weather resistant, can be stained to look much prettier than naff pvc which will crush when you sit on it.

I agree about not using MDF, even treated it will become a problem over time. I think even PVC will look a bit naf.

For a good finish I would recommend using a softwood timber such as pine and then using an outdoor stain preservative. A much nicer finish than either MDF or PVC.

Kev

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back