MDPE and Polyplumb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

I've just registered to the forum, so hello to everyone. I've registered because we are moving out of London to a house which needs a bit of work. I am gauging up what I can and can't do.

I have fitted a kitchen before from scratch, with copper pipes, olives and fittings, and wired an extension.... but that was all 10 years ago!

I'm looking at replacing the bathroom in this place, and I have been reading about MDPE fittings and "Polyplumb".

I have to say, they make plumbing look alot easier than it was!!

Anyone got any views about ripping out old copper piping and replumbing the room with new fittings in MDPE or Polyplumb? What's the difference and are they really just "push'n'click" ??

Thanks for any comments/advice!

Jock

Sponsored Links
Yes no problem, remember the insterts push pipe in straight not at an angle, get used to the feel or mark pipe so you know when it's right in. Never use plastic pipe with a blemish on it.

We on;y use plastic out of sight.

I believe cheapest fittings are now the tectight sprint, but they are not demountable, so you have to be quite competent first time round or shell out for more fittings.

Three prominent plumbing firms round here have had leaks from them, and I had one. It is simply caused by pushing copper into the fitting at a torturous angle, which dislodges the o ring seal. Be aware and there won't be a problem.

The main advantage is that you can drill your joists in the centre rather than lay pipe is slots and run for greater distances without a joint.

A further potential advantage is that heating and hot water pipes can be lagged when passing though drilled joists against cannot be lagged when slotted at top of joist. You cannot slot sufficiently deep to comply with structural regs as to accomodate sufficient isulation to comply with energy efficiency regs. A case of one government department not understanding the needs of another before issuing their proclamation.

MDPE (medium density poly ethylene) is not really what you want. The plastic pipes for domestic plumbing are made from PB (poly butylene) or PEX (cross bonded poly ethylene). MDPE is mainly used for underground service pipes, although it can be used for internal cold water pipework, but only makes sense where you have long pipe runs with few fittings.

I'm much happier with compression (brass) fittings on plastic pipe. Never seen one leak yet. Lost count of leaks on push-fit fittings. Not a lot as apercentage, but...
Compression are cheaper and not usually hard to do up on plastic.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice guys. I have to say, a fitter re-plumbed my bathroom about 3 years ago here in London. Not a leak or a problem with anything. He said he avoided lifting half as much timber but using flexible MDPE, but I take the point about this type of plastic.

Cheers!
Jock

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back