measuring energy consumption of appliances

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know the is a 'plug in meter' that you can get to measure the power consumption of an appliance. I've seen them on the TV.
It plugs into a 3 pin socket and then the appliance is plugged into it. I've seen them with a digiatl readout showing power consumption etc.

Anyone know how much they cost an where I can find one?

Sponsored Links
Stupid question, but why do you want to measure the power when all appliances have the power rating marked on them?

I've looked on the net for such items and found loads of US makes but no UK versions. They seem to retail at around $40 which seems a lot for a device that tells you information you should already know.

WHY?
Let me know the model and make and I can tell you. oh yes! also need to know the avarage temp of the room the appliance is in. and another thing! how many times you will open the door over a year?

Sponsored Links
It's called a wattmeter, £7.99 at www.tchibo.co.uk (comes with UK plug/socket). It gives you instant/peak voltage, amps, power and energy readings.

Got myself one of them, pretty useful piece of kit to find out if your fridge is getting close to retirement or how much your dishwasher really consumes, also quite handy to troubleshoot some appliance failures...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back