Measuring to fit a curved surface

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

I'm converting a van into a motor home and I need to wall off the back doors, which won't be in use. The inside surface is going to be papered over and has to look presentable, so I can't have large gaps around the edges. The sides of the van are curved and I'm not sure what the best way to to go about measuring and fitting the wall is.

What I've done is taken two large pieces and started to cut one, putting it in place to see how it fits, then making adjustments wherever it's misshapen. Once I got an alright fight, I used that as a template to cut the other piece. I affixed the wall to the van by screwing blocks of wood to the frame at the sides and at the top of the van, then attached the wall to that.

It doesn't look very good, it's left a lot of gaps around the edges and I'm just very unhappy with it. Can anyone recommend a better way to go about this?

Sponsored Links
You could use a large piece of card, to make the template, cut with scissors will be a lot easier.

remember to leave accsess to the light cluster in case you need to change a bulb can you access them with the doors shut!!;)

do not wallpaper in a van you will be rubbing up against it all the time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back