MEBC not present.

E

EdwardCurrent

Hello All,

I understand that work should not be carried out if the MEBC's are not in place, however, I am just finishing (trying to) some work on a domestic install and the customer has now told me that he does not want me to fit the water mebc (as arranged) as it would mean disturbing his kitchen.

I have tried in vain, (even saying I wouldn't charge him :oops:) but he is 'Adam Ant' that he does not want it done ? :eek:

I wanted this job to be assessed but now feel like I banging my head against a brick wall. On my certs, if I say the mebc is not present then I shouldn't have carried out the work ?

Oh dear :confused:

Any ideas please ???
Yes, fit the mebc first next time.

Many thanks,

Ed

Sponsored Links
this dont help you much this time. but
main bonds should have been done first.
then if the customer wont let you do it then none of the work gets done ( by you )
you are now halfway in you have just got to keep on to the customer and make them see sense
good luck

I think you need to make the customer aware that you can't do your primary test on the installation and if they can't be done none of the others can be, as it will fail to comply to standards required within BS7671 and GN3. So certs and schedules can't be made out.
If your offering it for free, the customer must be a fool.
You may need to be "Prince Charming" about it, after all it's a "dog eat dog" world and you don't want to hold a gun to his head and ask him to "stand and deliver" because your a "goody two shoes"

Yes you should have done the MEB's first, however you need to 'force' the customer into having this done.

I would explain in basic terms what is required to him.

IF he still refuses to allow you to put the MEB in place then inform him that you will not be connecting ANY of the work you have installed to the supply until this is completed and that therefore he will not recieve any certification for the works, but, that he is still liable for the cost of the works carried out.

Did you get him to sign a 'Small Works Contract'?

Is there no route that would allow you to bring the MEB to the point of connection that would not involve 'touching' his kitchen.

For example under the floor either crawling or using rods?

Feel for you

Sponsored Links
I know that you feel you are now between a rock and a hard place!
In the future make sure you do the MEBs first! Is any of the work notifiable? You definately can't sign it off to BS7671 without MEBs so you can't really sign it off to the building regs either.

Could you run the bonding cable on the surface to avoid disruption? It could be painted afterwards.... or run in a bit of mini trunking?

SB

IF he still refuses to allow you to put the MEB in place then inform him that you will not be connecting ANY of the work you have installed to the supply until this is completed and that therefore he will not recieve any certification for the works, but, that he is still liable for the cost of the works carried out.
Particularly as
the customer has now told me that he does not want me to fit the water mebc (as arranged)

Thank you all for your advice and opinions, much appreciated.

I may pop over to the house with a few bacon rolls and a flask of tea, after all, it works on me ;) .

I will keep you posted.

Regards

Eddy.

Not teaching you to suck eggs but have you explained the reason for meb's. Does he want to come into contact with a faulty live part and metal water service? I have some nice shinny flyers explaining this to the customer, i'll post you one. Have you shown him the pages in the regs book?. Can you come on the outside of the building and back in near the water riser?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back