megaflo electric boiler problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I was called in by a friend to take a look at his megaflo electric boiler which is only used for hot tap water. No radiators. He has been in the property for a couple of months now and has had no hot water since.

He had it looked at by a boiler engineer who told him it was a plumbers job and not his and then had it looked at by a plumber.

Plumber told him the boiler needs flushing and said it has no pressure gauge so needs a pressure gauge fitting on. Quoted him £200 plus parts.

I have had a look at it and checked the cables to see if their is a current going thru into the boiler which there is. the timer seems to be ok as well although i might be doing something wrong as i have no experience of electric boilers.

I thought the plumbers advice sounded a bit daft as there are no radiators used from this boiler just tap water so cant understand why it needs a flush. Also i have not seen a pressure gauge on any electric boilers i have looked at on the net.

So can anyone tell me if the plumber was right and if not what could the problem be.

Cheers all.

Sponsored Links
I think the plumber is talking out of his proverbial :eek:

There is no pressure gauge needed for a direct Megaflo as you say. They are also made out of high grade s/steel so should not scale up either.

If it is a really old one it will have a sacrificial anode fitted to help prevent scale as well. This may need replacing from time to time.

To me the most obvious thing causing this is the immersion element has gone, or the thermostat in it, especially if you have proved there is current/voltage going to it.

cheers for that dave. im going to look into that.

anyone else have any ideas?

Why do you need more ideas? I would think Dave's reply is more than adequate.

Sponsored Links
well i have been scanning the forum and the internet in general and come across something about a safety cut off switch so i was thinking if there is anything else that we might have missed.

There is a little red button on the immersion heater that acts as an overheat cut out.

It will be obvious if this has popped out. If it has popped out it will have done so for a reason.

I forgot about this :rolleyes: :oops:

There is a little red button on the immersion heater that acts as an overheat cut out.

It will be obvious if this has popped out. If it has popped out it will have done so for a reason.

I forgot about this :rolleyes: :oops:

dont worry about mate, you've been great. cheers.

i have been trying to find a manual on the net so i can locate the button but cant find a manual. can anyone tell me where the button is?

cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back