Mem Circuit breaker model 51 QED query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know where i can purchase the following circuit breaker.

Brand: MEM
Model 51 QEB
Type 1 5A
Comform to BS 3871
Category of Duty M6

This circuit breaker blew last night but I can't find any place that sells this, tried 2 B&Q, Wicks, HomeBase etc, none of them sells it. Im in SE London area, so if you know of any shop that sells these, it would be most appreciated.

Secondly, I am due to renting out this flat to tenants shortly, does anybody know if this type of OLD circuit box will pass the building regulations test or I need to get the whole place re-wired?

Thanks and have a happy NY.

Sponsored Links
You will not find one in any of the DIY sheds. They have been obsolete for around 15 years.

You can still get them online here, but you have to pay a premium for obsolete parts. http://www.thefusecompany.com/fuse.php?products_id=459

It is unlikley that your installation is upto current standards if your CU is that old, but as for the actual wiring, no one can say without physically seeing and testing it.

does the mean i will have to get a new circuit breaker box (up to the current BS) before i can rent out the flat? Secondly, would you know roughly how much this will cost? Current there is

1x 5A
2x 32A

circuit breakers in there.

Thanks

Dunno.

Can't see it, can't quote it.

Honestly though, without seeing the true age and condition of the wiring no one can even give you a rough idea of costs.

Sponsored Links
Your best bet will probably be to have a PIR (Periodic Inspection Report) carried out on the installation. That should give you all the information you need to have it brought up to current standards.

Q MCBs occasionally turn up on Flebay, often complete with CU. But they are very old.

Does it look this this?

de5e_1.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-MEM-5a-Type...ryZ26215QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
yep, i just saw this on ebay as well. It the same one i have .

Just more worried about the cost of having a new circuit box to be nstalled that all, before the place is up for rental now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back