mem plug-in mcbs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone - new to this forum - first posting.

I have a late 70s mem consumer unit (grey with black fuses) with rewirable fuse links. I want to fit plug-in mcbs to update the unit. I bought one for the 30amp ring circuit about 10 years ago - so know they were made once, but just can't find anyone who still stocks them. Someone, somewhere must have some of these. B&Q still supply the Wyrex equivalent but they wont fit of course. Fitting a new consumer unit is a option I can't afford. Anyone help please.

Sponsored Links
Its difficult to find something that came out 2 years ago and the only option may be to upgrade the complete unit.
But somebody may know different.

MEM do not make them anymore as far as I am aware, they are certainly not in any of the catalogues I have in the office nor on their public or customer servers.

Best thing to do would be to change the board

Or ring their helpline/ technical number on 01407 760 105, quoting the model numder of the unit.

Sponsored Links
michael.dav2004 said:
... B&Q still supply the Wyrex equivalent but they wont fit of course. Fitting a new consumer unit is a option I can't afford. Anyone help please.

Given that B & Q sell Wylex plug-ins at £9.36 a pop and you can get a fully-loaded 5 + 5 split board for under £60 retail from various suppliers, you may find the new board option is financially viable as long as you feel confident/competent to carry out the job.

Does your MEM unit have a 35mm DIN rail mounting system?

If it does, have you tried the MEMERA 2000 range of 35mm DIN rail mounting MCB's?? - they may be just right.

Many many thanks for quick response to my first query. I agree it would be best to change the whole unit, they are so cheap now, but to fit it myself will mean my having to break the seals and remove the suppliers main fuse before I can connect the new unit, and bet it won't be cheap to have the unit checked out and resealed. The plug-in mcb option I think a good second-best. I'll just keep trying till I find a supplier whose still got some tucked away.

Thanks again everyone.

'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing - none at all is absolutely lethal'[/img]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back