Memera 2000 CU Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone out there know if you can swap out the fuse carriers on my circa 1990ish Memera 2000 CU for MCBs. Wondering if it can be easily done by myself with limited experiance. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
are you 100% sure it is a Memera 2000?

if so, it can be done. Or RCBOs are even better.

if not, post a pic

However it means opening the cover which may expose live parts so should not be attempted without skill and knowledge. It is notifiable work.

Why do you want to do it?

Didn't realise it would be notifiable as I thought I would just be replacing a safety device like for like. Reason for thinking about doing it? Just seen how inexpensive the newer MCB/RCBOs were and thought they were an improvement in terms of safety/conveniance.Good or bad idea?

A fuse isn't an MCB so it isn't like for like.
Not all fuses are the same, not all MCBs are the same either.
MCBs are a good idea in the respect that they are less likely to be abused than a fuse carrier. RCD protection is a good idea as it helps protect you against a fatal electric shock and fire.

Sponsored Links
Looks like I will have to give this idea a wide berth. Was hoping it was just a matter of isolating the power and unscrewing the old HRC carriers off to replace with MCBs/RCBOs. Worth asking I suppose. Thanks for the replys folks.

It is a very good idea, provided you have a separate main isolation switch before the Memera unit. Breakers should be B type (3-5In) characteristic.

First disconnect the red phase wire at the top. The fuse holders unscrew and unclip off the din-rail (that 35mm wide strip of metal at the back of the unit). The breakers clip onto the din-rail in their place, and tighten the terminals into the busbar. Do this one at a time to avoid confusion.

Reconnect the phase wire into the top of the breaker, taking care to avoid loose strands hanging out. replace cover and restore supply.

Thanks Kai. Have a main isolater before the CU so will take a look at the removal process. If its as easy as you describe it ,the job should be a goer. Have some electrical experiance, just wasn;t sure if the fuse carriers fixings were compatible with MCB/RCBOs. Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back