Memorial plaque onto concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a memorial plaque which I want to mount onto a suitably sized piece of concrete, such as a 12" square paving slab. It is to be used near a grave.
I bought a 12" square paving slab and set about mounting the plaque, but I split the slab I think because the screws were too big for the holes. They tightened up after not too long, then got easier as the crack developed.
Is this the right way to do it?
I was using a straightforward paving slab, 1 1/2" thick or so. Drilled it to 5.5mm then used the red rawplugs. Maybe I should have gone to 6mm or the brown ones and 7mm

Sponsored Links
helloo js slabs arnt always that good why not try drilling through and either use brass screws or galvanized bolts throughth the hole into the cement your bedding the slabs onto

Just wonder if it possible to drill the hole all the way through then use a non-rust nut/bolt which won't put any side pressure on the holes

:oops: :oops: :oops: I must learn to read previous post before me :rolleyes:

big-all said:
helloo js slabs arnt always that good why not try drilling through and either use brass screws or galvanized bolts throughth the hole into the cement your bedding the slabs onto

Sorry, I did not say, the slab is free standing, next to a grave or similar.

That's a worthy thought Masona, I'll look closer at that.
I have brass countersunk screws that have the screw in cover on them to conceal the head. I am not sure if I can get the same for bolts, especially in brass or brass plate.

Sponsored Links
why not use a resin type anchor or even araldite you just needs something that grips but doesnt expand :?: :?: :?:

another point though if the expanding fixing cracked the slab are slabs up to the job :cry: :cry:

masona said:
Just wonder if it possible to drill the hole all the way through then use a non-rust nut/bolt which won't put any side pressure on the holes

:oops: :oops: :oops: I must learn to read previous post before me :rolleyes:

the funny thing is i am so slow at posting one finger job that i am usualy second fiddle but hey two answers the same better than nowt :D :D ;)

John.Stitch said:
I have brass countersunk screws that have the screw in cover on them to conceal the head. I am not sure if I can get the same for bolts, especially in brass or brass plate.
They are many type of fancy brass bolt, here one of them. I've seen the type you want but can't remember where.

If the slab is only 12"x12" why not make your own reinforced with some chicken wire folded so it fits inside the 12"x12"?
I've made both square and round slabs this way for various parts of the garden.
Simple to make and stronger than bought ones.
The round ones were made from 2" wide strips of hardboard formed to a circle and joined then placed on a piece of hardboard to keep the concrete off the surrounding area. A sprinkling of sand on the bottom with the concrete on top and tamped to remove any air.
The pressure of the concret forces the hardboard to open to its widest shape being a perfect circle.
Square moulds can be made simply with some timber and nails.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back