Metal Back Box Sticks Out

If the wall is rather fragile a disc cutter with a diamond blade will cut out the outline carefully, and can also cut the inside of the outline up a bit to make removal easier. I have a dust extraction attachment on mine otherwise it makes rather a lot of mess...

I've SEEN double 16mm boxes
Ah but have you ever seen double sided boxes? A friend has one in his house, with a single socket fitted either side.

Sponsored Links
Ah but have you ever seen double sided boxes? A friend has one in his house, with a single socket fitted either side.
I have never. Did it leave the factory like that? Or was it just bolted together after the fact? Surely it's terrible practice to have two sockets directly back to back? Unless on a stud wall. How do you fix the thing in place? Clip on wings?

upload_2016-4-20_22-26-19.jpeg
:)

I have never. Did it leave the factory like that? Or was it just bolted together after the fact? Surely it's terrible practice to have two sockets directly back to back? Unless on a stud wall. How do you fix the thing in place? Clip on wings?
It was a factory made unit, in a stud wall, I didn't note how it was fixed, I was looking for an earth fault. Plate screws were 4BA.

That's a dual box, I'm talking a double SIDED box. You could look right through it.

Sponsored Links
I should think grinding 7-5 mm off the front of a knock-out box would probably take off the fixing lugs, and disturb the knock-outs round the edges, and the corners where they fold together, and pretty much render the thing useless.

Y'see the bit where I said a few mm if the metal was still visible after fitting the face? That few is what would need taking off, not the whole 7..

Don't they solve the opposite problem? His box isn't too shallow, it's too deep.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back