Metal cladding vs soffit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've built a workshop in my garden; construction is 4x2 walls sheathed in 11mm OSB3, then wrapped with breathable roof membrane, with battens and cladding yet to come.

For 2 of the 4 walls, aesthetics isn't a concern - the building is in a corner of my garden and the neighbours can't see it. I was interested in box profile cladding the walls as I can quickly cover a large area (in theory), the m2 cost is cheaper than the cheapest half-decent wooden cladding and it is essentially maintenance free for several years. However, I am struggling with how I would deal with the point where the soffit meets the cladding. Do you just stop a couple of cm below the soffit line? If so what do you use to hide the gap?

Does flat metal sheet cladding exist? I don't need any structural rigidity. I had a quick look at buying metal off the roll and found it is surprisingly more expensive than the same gauge and quality of steel that has been profiled and coated. Something wrong there...

Sponsored Links
I suspect metal cladding will experience a lot of condensation on the back face, and so should be vented.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back