Metal Siding and Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings. I have a storage building with sheet-metal siding and roofing, and with exposed 2x4 wood framing.

I want to finish-out the interior to use for a small living space. My question is, if I use Fiberglass Insulation w/ the moisture-barrier to the warm side, will the sheet-metal exterior still sweat and cause moisture problems?

I thought about adding and additional 1.5" to each wall-stud (rip some 2x4) so the wall would accept 6" insulation rather than 3".

Average rainfall typical 28", lowest winter temperature typical 18 degF. Thanks

Sponsored Links
But building is universal!

If the quilt is fitted well, and there are no voids, then the vapour membrane should keep the moisture and air away from the steel and so there should be no problem with interstitial condensation

Sponsored Links
I was thinking maybe there should be a ventilated space on the cold side of the insulation, to keep the cladding dry-ish. the metal will have huge temperature swings day and night.

I don't believe you will totally 100% prevent moisture penetration, even when new, never mind after it has cracked a bit or been drilled for lamps or shelves.

this is more an industrial unit method of construction over here. We don't build houses that way.

Nearest i can picture is a cold-roof construction. i would have preferred rigid foam insulating slabs, with maybe a ply internal facing for impact protection

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back