metal socket/switch plates - No RCD - is this safe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just purchased a new home, and have started on the refurb. The previous owner has at some time installed metal cover plates to all the sockets and all the light switches.

I have found that there is no earth/CPC on the lighting circuit (pre-1960 house, original wiring). So I have already swapped all the switches for double insulated plastic numbers.

I have also found that the consumer unit, although it doesn't look that old (modern style MCBs), has no RCD installed. So my question is; does this lack of RCD make the socket cover plates dangerous? There is of course a CPC on the three ring main circuits that I have, but in the event of fault can I count on this?

FYI: The CPCs have not been tested.

Thanks all, sorry if repost but I did a search.

Sponsored Links
Its not an issue. Most properties will be wired without RCD protection due to age.

It would be worth replacing MCB's with RCBO's if possible though.......

You can't count on the CPCs until you've tested them all for continuity back to the main earth terminal.

And check that the main earth terminal is actually earthed.

Thanks guys,

My plan is to replace the consumer unit when I get the kitchen re-done, so at that time I'll have an RCD.

I think I will get the CPC tested.

still not sure if its worth swapping out all the socket plates. Its not a huge amount of money, but it does kind of stuff up the phasing of my refurb plans. Plus, I want metal cover plates in the long term too.

Sponsored Links
if you are concerned about the sockets earths, though im unsure why, just get the circuits tested

Changing metal sockets to plastic ones wont make much difference to safety if the earthings already poor.

if the earth was inadequate, the appliances plugged in and even the screw heads could still become a shock hazard, regardless of plastic or metal fronts

In fact you could even accidently create an earth problem that didnt exist when you replace them with plastic if you havent got the means to test them after

if you are lucky then the old cabling has been trunked down to the switches whitch "may" give you chance to pull new cable down without having to chisel out the old stuff so while your electrician may need to pull up carpets/floorboards to renew the lighting circuit you wont have to replaster the drops to the switches

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back