Meter tails/ Fuse comparison

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When checking an installation which has 16mm incoming tails to the 100A service fuse and the same size to the meter but 25mm tails from meter to cu, which part of the tails are we concerned about when comparing to the fuse? Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Everything upto and including the meter is property of the DNO, and therefore is their responsibility.

You only need to check the size of the outgoing tails from the meter.

Thanks folks. So just to clarify...even though the 16mm tails between the 100A fuse and the meter seem inadequate, as long as the tails are 25mm on the consumer side of the meter, then that's my only concern. Right?

Sponsored Links
Even more daft when you consider some supply cables are 7/.052. (The imperial equivalent of 10mm²).

I gleaned that from a UU employee some years ago (then Norweb).

Surely with supply cables that old, the installation is likely to be overdue for a complete re-wire!

Hane any of you guys ever suceeded in getting a 30mA RCD to hold at all, on an older installation containing 7/.029 cable in it? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: [/quote]

Not sure what you're getting at. I meant the cable into the property from the street.

I have had much trouble getting RCD's to hold, but it doesn't matter whether it is ancient cable or new, imperial or metric, if you have an earth fault, the RCD will go open circuit..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back