meter tails

asc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
was looking at a recent rewire with the meter tails 25mm but single insulated (from the meter), anyone know if there is a particular or general regulation that says they should be double insulated?

Sponsored Links
Let me see......YES!

Are you sure they are not double insulated with a coloured sheath, rather than a grey sheath?? Fairly common on XLPE types.

yeah, now you have got me wondering but I did think at the time they could be that but discounted it because of the size - but I could be wrong :confused: so there is a reg and it's not just good practice?

Did it look anything like this?

drippingcutout.jpg

The tails from the meter to the henly block are actually double covered 16mm² tails.

Sponsored Links
In older installations, it was common for the meter tails to be coloured RED and BLACK on both the inner insulation, and the outer covering, until recent years, when grey became mandatory (around 5 years ago perhaps).

do they use two different shades or something so you can tell easilly when the outer layer of insulation has been damaged?

hmm i always thought the point of two layers in different colors was that if you saw the inner color you knew it was unacceptablly damaged (rather than just say normal abrasion from pulling through holes in brickwork etc) and therefore that it needed replacement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back