method on fitting plain skirting board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i need to fit new skirting board after fitting wood engineered flooring, i have purchased the skirt and a mitre box. I have never fitted skirting board before and i dont want to make a mess as the skirting is the last part of my job. I only have two corners to cut (internal)i just need to know the method in what order to do it . Ie the measuring and cutting . Any tips would be apreciated .Thanks

Sponsored Links
Fix one skirting in place full length. Mitre off the joining end of the next piece, and use a coping saw to cut along the (curved?) profile now showing on the face side. This allows for the walls not being perfect;y square and give a margin of error. Depending on if the skirting is to be finished au-naturale or painted, you can sand or trim this to make as perfect a finish as possible, or use a bit of decorators caulk to fill the gap prior to painting (if you are painting, I'd recommend you put the knotting and primer on and let it dry before cutting the timber - one less chance of marking the floor with erroneous paint). Put into place, possibly set a few mm parallel to the wall if you're running up to an architrave, mark and cut exactly to length.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again for the advice ,room now finished ,only scrapped one piece....... came in handy though to practice on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back