Metre Tails Upgrade !!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The length of meter tails from my meter to my CU is about 4m.
I have asked my electricity provider to upgrade my metre tails to 25 mm sq.

What are my options in case they tell me that the length of metre tails is too much?

Do I need to move my CU? Do I put a switch at the meter? Who does this the Electricity Board or my electrician? In what order does all this need to be done i.i. who does what first ?

Sponsored Links
The DNO will not fit greater than 3M tails so the only option is to add an isolation switch. Some DNO's will install this for you. Best to discuss this with them then they will get no surprises when they visit.

Does this mean that my electrician won't have to do anything apart from connecting the metre tails to the CU?

Please clarify which one is done first.

Thank you

Most dno's are downgrading main fuses to 60 or 80 amps thats if you even have a 100 amp service fuse to start with. ( dont believe the label).

Unless your tails are less than 16 mm or your fuse is deffinately 100 amp theres absolutely no requirement or need to change them. The plus side is they usually fit an isolator which allows you to work on your house at will.

Sponsored Links
Get the spark to run tails from CU to a double pole isolator placed as near to the meter as you like, then dno will come and connect their end to isolator

Fitting your own DP 100 amp isolator even if CU near meter and with its own built in isolator makes sense generally so that you can work on CU safely any time in the future without getting supply fuse pulled. Using say http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea...le+isolator&pn=1&pd=1&pi=1&cn=1&cd=1&x=9&y=11
, what enclosure would you use (MEM apparently make one already in an enclosure but not found it yet) and do you gland the tails in and out (top and bottom)? If so, what glands do you prefer?

I wish people would stop saying that DNO's will not connect to tails more than than 3m!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not all DNO's operate the same way. WPD recomend 2m, but will connect TO ANYTHING!

The tails from CU to meter are yours, and you must change. You must organise this so the DNO can connect them to your meter. The DNO will change the tails from meter to service head IF THEY WANT - not if you want. This is their cable, and installed to their regs. They use 16mm as standard.

I personally HATE having an isolator between cu and meter - what the point? To help you change the CU every 10yr?? ******. It's just another loose link in the chain. Do with out. Most people do.

sailpower, never seen glands on meter tails (very limited experience though). On the 3 phase dist board at work, the tails just enter through the same single metal bush on the bottom. I think this is the norm with metal enclosures because it prevents eddie currents in the metal frame. If you were to gland each phase and neutral in seperate holes, eddie currents might get a bit wild.

Dont see why you couldn't gland them on a plastic box though, for neatness (if that size glands are available. large flex glands might do the job, depending on size of tails)

lectrician, its about time someone somewhere said enough is enough, and we need uniformity throughout the country so everyone understands the rules.

like part p.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

cant get a supply installed now without certificates .... dunno if they will still change tails though

Again - not all DNO's!!!

WPD simply want one of THEIR forms sent in, with details of maximum demand, earthing type and am/pm visit! You sign the bottom which basically says you have installed to BS7671. You do have to state the installer, but this doesn't have to be a company.

They connect an earth for £19 and tails and earth for £25. Not too bad really. Used to be free until a few months ago.

they told us that it was new reg, so maybe it was unofficial and just for them then

Sailpower WPD fit the same isolator as you have shown but in the wylex moulded case that goes with it, which is designed for either 16 mm tails (you dont need to remove the outer cable sheath) and 25mm tails you strip back the outer sheath leaving just the insulation, off of memory i think its 15 mm bare conductor then 32 mm outer sheath removed for 25mm and just the 15mm bare conductor for the 16mm

Just out of interest whats the issue with the extended meter tails why dont they like them?

well for starters the bigger the cuircuit the bigger the bang if it gets damaged, and then theres the fact they have to be called out to replace the fuse and the fact its more likely that you'll hit the phase and not the earth with seperate tails than with T&E.

would you run an un-armoured 100A submain between boards?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back