Metric and Imperial sizes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to match up some old Randlay Salop quarry tiles, but there is some confusion over what size they are (or are meant to be)

Tiles were produced under the Randlay Salop name from around 1896 to 1916, our house was built during the 1920's. So I assumed these were 6x6x1" standard quarry tiles. However, out of the 70 tiles I've checked there are several different sizes

5.9" square being the most common
and 5.8x5.9" 2nd most common
with various other sizes in between ranging from 5.6x5.8" to 6x6"

5.9" square would be a standard 150mm Metric tile, but these are too old to be metric?

The other possibility is that quality control in those days perhaps isn't what it is today and 5.6x5.8" to 6x6" is normal variation for a standard 6x6" imperial tile of that age. ?

Really confused, and it makes it difficult trying to match up reclaimed tiles. Do I need a 150mm metric tile or a 6x6" imperial tile? or should I just measure each one individually and pick the ones which match up with what I have already (I'd be after a 5.9x5.9" tile as that's what I have most of)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back