Microbore system - add 15mm tails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just moved into my new home which has a micro-bore system.

I wish to replace at the v.least the tails connecting the radiators to the system since the micro-bore connection looks rather ugly (especially were the pipes first exit the floor, run about 30cm along the wall before the first edge of the radiator)

Apart from that they are causing me problems since I want to replace the skirting too but the pipes are in the way.

My questions:

1. Can I add 15mm ends and connect to the 8mm pipe under the floor boards (reading around this appears to be ok)?

2. What is the maximum 15mm end I should consider running from the 8mm without adversely effecting the systems flow/balance?

3. First time doing any pipe work so what will I need other than flux, solder, gas torch, 15mm pipe, 15mm to 8mm reducer and pipe bender?

4. If i get cold feet how much is a plumber likely to cost / would they do this?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
1 yes
2 Won't make a difference
3 You Won't need a bender for that. Something to clean the pipe, heat shield, a lifetime of experience ;)
4 Can't guess prices. I wouldn't want the job at all, though some would.

Dont forget 15mm radiator valves, plus make sure all pipes are 8mm some was done in 10mm. Easy job however draining and re filling may be problem if old system. Looking at days labour plus materials so depends where you live. Are some or all twin enrty?

All radiators are one entry one exit (pipe either side of radiator).

Yes draining /refill is my biggest worry - but why more so for an older system?

Mine is old - BG have been round and I'm waiting for a quote. I did ask them to quote to convert system to 15mm non micro-bore but the guy really didn't want to so I expect to see a big discouraging quote on that one.

Why dont people want the job - is it just time?

Sponsored Links
They don't want the job because it is very fiddly, and there's a lot of scope for leaks when working on an old system.

As the Yanks say: "If it ain't bust - don't fix it!"

BG have been round and I'm waiting for a quote...................so I expect to see a big discouraging quote on that one.

That's all part of the service with BG. Big organisation = big overheads = big bills. :eek:

Try some recommended independents. You may be pleasantly surprised! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back