Mid Terrace to End Terrace Issues

Sponsored Links
A neighbour cannot refuse right of access to their property for you to do essential repairs, so if the tenant next door were to refuse access, then you can aproach the council for permission.

A neighbour cannot refuse right of access to their property for you to do essential repairs, so if the tenant next door were to refuse access, then you can aproach the council for permission.

The OP does not want to do essential repairs, he wants to do an optional upgrade. He has no right of access.

Neither can the landlord council insist that the tenant give access. There is a concept of quiet enjoyment to prevent this.

Sponsored Links
Neither can the landlord council insist that the tenant give access. There is a concept of quiet enjoyment to prevent this.
Absolutely can be a sticky situation, the LL would have to give permission, but at the same time has the quite enjoyment obligation to the tenant.

To the OP, your best bet would be to approach the lender or a decent surveyor and find out what would be specifically required to satisfy a lender before they go on carrying out random works.

Good point Chappers, but I suspect it's going to be the end wall half done that's the main issue. I suspect the situation will get resolved with a case of wine being given in exchange for scaffolding access.

thanks for all your comments they have been very interesting. I spoke to the council and they have said that as long as the works didn't take an extended period of time (2-3 months) then they have no problem with the work being done but they would ask that I first agree the most suitable time to do it with the neighbor so as not to disrupt them to much. I am getting some quotes for the work but I am also putting the property to auction with the hope I can sell at an acceptable price through the auction as that would be my ideal scenario.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back