Miele washing machine, warm wash trips circuit breaker - cold wash fine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Miele washing machine (WDA111) tripped a power breaker on the main board a couple of weeks ago. I removed the heating element which was totally encrusted in lime scale and had a black area which I think suggested a blow out (?). I ordered a generic replacement part from a well known online spares supplier and fitted it. I ran a 40 degree wash with no problem, and my son thinks he subsequently did two 30 degree washes without issues. The next wash however tripped the breaker again and with a bit of trial and error we worked out that we can now wash a cold wash without problem, but any warm wash trips the breaker. I have not yet looked at the new heating element to see if it has signs of damage and before I remove it again I would like to understand if there could be another faulty part that causes the element to blow? or If a faulty temperature sensor could be causing a problem?
When I replaced the element, the new element had one red connector terminal, but the original did not. I could not see any other markings that suggested that the element should be fitted a particular way round, does it matter which way round it is fitted?
I would be very grateful for any helpful advice. Thank you!

Sponsored Links
I'd say a faulty new element.

Unless there is a short within the wiring to the heater.

I'd say a faulty new element.

Unless there is a short within the wiring to the heater.
Thanks @sxturbo I will remove the element tomorrow and have a close look at the wiring. Any idea if the red terminal colour means it has to be fitted a particular way round?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back