Minimum IP rating on external sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if this has question has been posed or answered before but I have been trying to search for the answer a while now and haven't found anything.

I want to get an external socket to replace one outside which has been damaged, I don't know what the IP rating of this one was. It is just a socket attached to the exterior wall of my house on its own 16A circuit in the CU protected under RCD.

I guess the rating depends entirely on the circumstances and this is why I cant find a minimum rating anywhere. Its only going to be subjected to usual weather perhaps blast from hose (not intentionally).

The reason I ask is that there is a great difference in prices of the sockets, I have found an IP55 one for approx 5 pounds in the sale at Wickes but as I go to higher IP ratings the price goes up. Will IP55 suffice or is this why it is cheap (i.e. because it does not meet regs)? I know 55 relates to protection from dust that would effect the equipment and protection from water from a nozzle, which sounds about right to me.

Any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks guys. Was just trying to save some pennies! but I will fork out the extra and be safe. Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
always do a job right first time, saves money in the long run

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back