mira shower.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.as in previous post i mentioned about mira shower which has stopped working.power light comes on so as low water presseure light.as i was told to check shower head or water inlet filter for blockage .i have cleaned shower head also cleaned water inlet filter ut still same.i had this shower for 5years and it had its fare use of life.i am thinking to replace it now.first i am thinking to replace it with simmilar make and model so we would not have
Any problem with electric or plumbing.these days multi fit units are available .for that reason i would like to know any other brand better than mira.also if i up grade to 10.5 kw .at the moment we have mira sport thermostate 9.8kw on 10mm cable and 40amp mcb.can i up grade to 10.5kw on presant set up.and what are the main benefits for up grade.thanks.

Sponsored Links
Main benefits from upgrade? Hot water/faster flow. Usually able to use 'medium' heat setting in the summer, so not using full whack of lecky at all times.

Do you have a multimeter?

Mira sports inlet solenoids fail quite often (causing no flow of water, and so low pressure light comes on). If you try to start the shower and meter the volts on the solenoid, if you get volts, but it doesn't open, you know it has gone squit. Around £70 last time I had to buy a spare I think.

That's the problem with replacing parts on electrical showers, often does not stack up against buying new with warranty.
10.5kW shower will require a 50A MCB so that will need upgrading, the cable size if 10mm T&E, providing no de-rating factors such as routed in thermal insulation or thermal insulated walls and/or in containment such as conduit/trunking. Should be okay.
You would also be wise to protect shower circuit with 30mA RCD if not already offered at installation.
There are plenty of various showers out there, some will have very similar entry points for water and electric, but very rarely are they exactly the same, always a bit of tweaking to be done.
If you search on-line for what you require, quite often you will be able to download the users manual which will indicate where the entry points are.

That's the problem with replacing parts on electrical showers, often does not stack up against buying new with warranty.
10.5kW shower will require a 50A MCB so that will need upgrading, the cable size if 10mm T&E, providing no de-rating factors such as routed in thermal insulation or thermal insulated walls and/or in containment such as conduit/trunking. Should be okay.
You would also be wise to protect shower circuit with 30mA RCD if not already offered at installation.
There are plenty of various showers out there, some will have very similar entry points for water and electric, but very rarely are they exactly the same, always a bit of tweaking to be done.
If you search on-line for what you require, quite often you will be able to download the users manual which will indicate where the entry points are.
many thanks.i have just checked with mira regarding up grade from sports thermo 9.8 kw to sorts max 10.8 kw.they said entry points on electric and plumbing are axactley at same place.only one thing i have noticed while looking on installation manual is that water supply connection should be from top or bottom not straight from behind.but our previous shower is connected right behind.it worked fine for 5 years.i do not believe that could be the cause of it braking down.as all pipe work is buried in plaster and tiled over,its not possible to change the pipe work as manufaturers want.my main worry is if we fit a new unit as it is already fitted.in future during warranty period if anything goes wrong then manufaturers might void the warranty.now cable is only one meter in conduit then it goes into partition walls clipped to timber no any insulation and last one meter is buried in plaster work.if the 10mm cable is ok then we can change 40 amp mcb to 50.then i can up grade to 10.8 kw.by the way main board does have RCD protection.

Sponsored Links
while looking on installation manual is that water supply connection should be from top or bottom not straight from behind.but our previous shower is connected right behind.

All mira sport showers can take rear entry pipework.
Why not test the solenoid coil as advised above.
Test for voltage and resistance.

If water is reaching filter then the coil has failed.

Regarding the pipe entry points. it maybe that the person who plumbed your existing shower in, managed to fit it without the pipe work needing to enter the unit from either top or bottom. If so nice job!"
So if the actual inlet is in the same location on the proposed new shower to that of the existing, it should fit without alteration needed.
They would be no issue regarding warranty or the reason your shower is not function correctly, with regards to your pipework connection.

If you have picture of the pipework to inlet, you van upload? would be helpful.

10mm T&E can carry a maximum of 64A, that is without any de-rating factors.
If the cable is enclosed in conduit which fixed to masonry, it will be de-rated to 52A. So that should be okay.

Regarding the pipe entry points. it maybe that the person who plumbed your existing shower in, managed to fit it without the pipe work needing to enter the unit from either top or bottom. If so nice job!"
So if the actual inlet is in the same location on the proposed new shower to that of the existing, it should fit without alteration needed.
They would be no issue regarding warranty or the reason your shower is not function correctly, with regards to your pipework connection.

If you have picture of the pipework to inlet, you van upload? would be helpful.

10mm T&E can carry a maximum of 64A, that is without any de-rating factors.
If the cable is enclosed in conduit which fixed to masonry, it will be de-rated to 52A. So that should be okay.
thanks.i would take a picture and try to upload wich i never did before and to be honest do not know how to.i would seek someones help.regadig mcd up grade .as somebody mentioned before need to up grade from 40 to 50.in mira instalation manual it says 45amp.please clarify weather 45 or 50.thanks.

10.8kW @ 240V is 45A.

(Although the figure to be used for installation calculations is
9.94kW @ 230V which is 43.2A).

45A or 50A MCB makes no difference but not all manufacturers make 45A MCBs

That's the problem as ELFI has mentioned, you may not be able to get a 45A MCB for your CU! But if you can follow the manufacturers instruction, if not use a 50A one.
As far as uploading photos.
If you have already downloaded and file stored on your PC/Laptop.
Then go to the tab at bottom of message window when posting a message, the tab can be seen.
See where it says upload new image below, you will need to create an album, then add an image, choosing the file and then the image you want to upload.
Once that has been done it can be saved, once saved you can show it, by going to the show image tab and clicking on image.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back