Missing Soffit & Fascias - Is this normal??

THX

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

First post.

In the process of buying a new house and have noticed something quite odd regards the lack of Soffits and Fascias on certain parts of the roof, which I hope is not an issue.

It looks to me that the soffit and fascias have not been finished off as the ends of the wood beams from the roof are clearly visible and open to the elements (see pictures below) The apex part of the roof has been finished off correctly with the soffit and fascias installed as expected.

Anyone else seen this before? Is it normal to finish a house with these end beams exposed like this?

Many thanks;

[/img]

Sponsored Links
Yes! its the style/design of the roof, exposed trusses.

Hi Alastairreid

Thanks for the reassuring reply that this is a type of roof style/design.

To me it looked as if all of the exposed trusses should be boxed in with soffit and fascia thus protecting them from the weather.

Looks like I’m going to have to get ready for painting these every other year to ensure that they don’t deteriorate! I’m also going to insist that the developer gets back up there and applies a lot more paint protection to them as I could clearly see from ground level the wood grain rings at the end of the trusses, thus indicating very little paint has been applied to them!

Roof trusses may be planed but not sanded prior to installing, especially the ends. Therefore it'll take a fair bit of sanding and a few layers of paint to avoid seeing the end grain. Don't forget the endgrain will 'soak in' more than the other parts.

Sponsored Links
Get the developer to put a good coat on and then every 5 years will be fine.
The underside of your soffits get very little weather and so as long as the first coat is good it will last for ages.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back