Mist Coat Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have never applied a mist coat before on a celling and need to on the following celling below in our spare room (See Image) Its not new plaster but has been clean up and ready for the coat.

Do i just apply a few coats of white vinyl silk emulsion paint or should i use Matt Emulsion on the first 2 coats and also thinned down and then pain the last coat in Silk

4636895330_3c65ecdffd.jpg

Sponsored Links
Silk will show all the defects why not just paint it with vinyl matt?

Did not know that. Is that beacuse Silk reflects the light more in which defects will show more.

So if i use Vinyl Matt will i still need to thin down the first coat or can i apply it direct from the tin. I am not able to affored the best paint as my budget is a bit tight you see

There is a small part o fmy celling that is new plaster that has been up for a month now. can i just paint over this as well

Chris

If it’s been extensively filled then a couple of coats of cheap as chips matt white, thinned 25-30%; it's not a good idea to use silk emulsion directly over filler anyway. What is your final finish, silk or matt? Silk will go over matt quiet happily but not good the other way around!

Sponsored Links
Well i was wanting a shine to the celling a bit as its a dark room so thought it would help with the light if i was to use silk as a final finish but i might just keep it Matt as it saves me buying a can of silk and matt but am not sure to be honest what is best or not.

It has been filled in some large areas the celling has and in 1 part has had new plaster put up a month ago. I gave the celling a light sand over a week ago and wipe down a bit to get rid of the dust.

I only have the option to Purhcase from Wickes or B&Q

I only have the option to Purhcase from Wickes or B&Q
That’s fine; they often have branded emulsion on offer but if not just use their own brand matt white. I think matt looks far better in any environment but that’s just a personally preference. You will find that silk will show & even exaggerate the smallest blemish under certain light conditions so unless meticulously done you could well end up seeing many of those filler repairs; a complete re-skim would have been a better bet.

If i was to use the B&Q brand Vinyl white matt on the celling would this required to be thinned down for the first coat or would it be ok to paint on direct from the tin.

Chris

Yes, thin it down 25-30% as I said before. Give it a couple of coats in quick succession which primes the filler & helps paint adhesion; leave it to dry overnight before applying your chosen finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back