Misty and cold!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just bought a new house and although the survey and home buyers report were staisfactory i am very unhappy that the inside of the windows in the conservatory keeps misting up. i asked a heating expert for advice and he suggested turning off th radiator, i have done that but the misting is still present though not as bad as when i had the radiator on . I have the same problem in the bedrooms upsatirs but to a lesser degree... Im depressed about this pls help! :cry: ( i recently asked a joiner to check the seals and he says they all seem fine!

Sponsored Links
Is it an old house? Are there any closed chimneys?

Do you hang washing up around the place, have a dishwasher, have baths and showers etc!!?

You need to think about all sources of moisture and what available ventilation you have. Do the windows have trickle vents do you use extractors in the bathroom and kitchen . . .

Thanks for the reply . The house s about 20years old. I dont know if there are blocked chimneys .. but yes : i hang my washing in the conservatory and on the raditors in the room at times... thats probably a major contributor ! .

Yep it will be, the water in the clothes has to go some where!!

Don't use the conservatory for this, put them in the spare room with the window open - should help. Generally try to keep moisture production to a minimum. Stop bathing, showering, breathing that sort of thing!!*

*joking :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
A well sealed house is an unhealthy house...Every house needs adequate ventilation to cope with day to day life, add drying clothes on the radiators and you will have the problem as you have seen.

Just another note, though you haven't mentioned it is the issue of flueless gas fires which pump out loads of condensation in to the house which would normally go up the flue.. Just in case

Radiators are for heating the house, not for drying clothes.
Hang them on the line outside or buy a drier. Probably nothing wrong with the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back