Mixed lighting circuits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think this is permissible but it may be, if done a certain way, so I'll ask:

I have a pendant light fitting in the lounge switched by the door, I also have a pair of wall lights run off an FCU (5A fuse) off the 32A ring. I would like to switch all from the same point. Can I:

a)put in a switch at the door for the wall lights connected to the fused spur after the FCU. I assume this is ok in principal, but does it need labels etc?

b)can that switch be one of a two gang switch, the other being the 6a lighting circuit switch. (Maybe this is ok with a labelled and separated back box or some such?? but I'm doubtful)

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give, I've searched the forums but can't find anything. I know I read something about it in the regs but I can't find it.

PS. ceiling is concrete and lighting circuit is above it in steel conduit, ie Fort Knox.

Sponsored Links
You should not have switches for two different circuits in the same enclosure, for the simple reason that isolating the obvious circuit (i.e. lighting in your case) still leaves the other one live. Why not use two single gang switch boxes side by side? In any case it sounds like your main problem is actually getting the cables to where you want them.

Thanks Dingbat,

I just wanted to check as I already had a spare two gang switch (Flat plate chrome-very nice) but I'll do as you say and put a second box in next to the existing. no labels required? Your right about the chasing though, oh what fun. Picked up a 240v chaser from aldi the other week cheap as chips, should make life easier this time.

Just one point about the wall chaser - DUST! After many experiments I have reverted to good old bolster/scutch and lump hammer... a bit of elbow grease never did any harm!

Sponsored Links
dingbat said:
You should not have switches for two different circuits in the same enclosure, for the simple reason that isolating the obvious circuit (i.e. lighting in your case) still leaves the other one live. Why not use two single gang switch boxes side by side? In any case it sounds like your main problem is actually getting the cables to where you want them.

Or use a double accessory box with the deviding panel left in place.

Tho IIRC, you can have two circuits in a single accessory, but you have to have a one of those "Isolate from multiple sources" labels on it, which would look naff as something from naff land in a house...

thats why you use grid plus and put the warning on the metal plate the modules clip into

the metal plate provides perfectly adequte protection against accidental contact with a still live cuircuit after taking the front cover off and a label on there is unlikely to be disturbed.

Thanks for the info all of you, I don't think naff land is the place for me yet so I'll give the double accessory box and label a miss, the MK idea is very neat and shows the advantages of a well designed product, but as I already have some other stuff in the house I think I'll stick to the existing TLC flat plate and just use two separate singles, it will look fine, and probably safest option in the long run. "Disconnect from multiple sources" I can see your average joe egg swapping the switchplate being a bit befuddled and ploughing in regardless. I think a circuit label at the back of the wall lights switch box might cover any other potential mistakes. Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back