Mixer tap problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The mixer tap in our kitchen is leaking from the point where it swivels......can these things be fixed....with new O rings or something similar.

IMG_2714.jpg

Im hoping it can be fixed as it looks like a big job to change the unit itself as the pipes leading to the tap are solid pipe, and to my untrained eye, looks like the sink may have to come out with the pipes cut :confused:

IMG_2715.jpg

Sponsored Links
new o ring - use silicon grease aswell. clear off any corrosion.

You could change those - done much worse. long socket or monoblock tap socket.

Most of the time mixers can be sorted with o rings etc.
But i normally change tap, you can pick one up for £35.

To change all you need is a box nut spanner set, its like a tommy bar with various sixe spanner ends. A few quid from plumding supplier.

You can use a pair of grips, but with no experience it may take you a while,so id go for box spanner

Sponsored Links
I take it the spout will/should pull out from the gland type of thing. and if i change the tap itself, Are newer mixer tap fittings/connections standard, ie this would be a straight swap....sorry to sound like a noob, but any chance of a link to these box nut spanner sets. MUCH APPRECIATED GUYS!!!! :)

By looking a tap, change it. Looks like its had its day anyway.

To change, its the brass nut behind the two pipes that neede slackening.

Isolate the cold mains, which will turn off hot and cold if you have a combi.

If you have a conventional boiler with copper cylinder, turn off cold mains and open hot taps , which will drain the water needed to do the job without getting wet.
Also open upstair and downstair cold and hot taps, which will drain the last of the water out.

Then cut the pipes or remove them from any fittings they might be connected to.
To make re fitting easy get some push fit connectors, Bish Bash hopefully Bob

if your doing it yourself id just change the o ring. Or get a mixer with stainless flexis not copper they would be easier for you. just two compression nuts hopefully :D

Top advice chaps, thanks so much, I have just spent 10 mins thinking how the box spanners would undo the gland nuts on the pipes :oops: but the penny dropped that you meant the nut behind the pipes :oops: Thanks again guys!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back