Mixer taps leaking

RMS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have three mixer taps leaking at the bottom, underneath the tap. The leak is small and only happens after I use them. The leak does not appear straight away.

I have looked where the two flexi hoses connect into the tap and they seem fine. I think the water is leaking from the hole in the bottom of the taps.

Two of the taps where from ebay and the other was from homebase.

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links

The water seems to be leaking from the hole at the base. Only after the tap has been used.

Its happening on three of the four mixer taps I have fitted around the house.

Sponsored Links
The dark oval hole? Sorry not a clue. I guess you'll have to dismantle one. The cartridge, most likely.

I don't see no rubber washer on the underside of that tap. Are you sure when using the taps you are not accidently splashing water near the bottom of the tap and it is finding its way through - giving the impression there is a leak underneath?

There is a rubber washer.

I had the same idea as you yerino. I thought the rubber washer was failing at first so I applied silicone around the base. The water still leaked from the bottom after use.

It just puzzles me why three of my four taps are doing this. Especially when one of them was purchased from a different place.

Did you put PTFA tape on the threads? If you did, remove it.

How did you tighten them? They should be hand tight and then a tool to half or 3/4 tighten.

It would be leaking constantly if it was anything to do with the hot/cold connections going into the tap.

However, since it is only leaking after use I can only suggest maybe it's a faulty cartridge inside the body (i.e - leaking inside the tap).

Do you know the make of the tap?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back