Mixer unit under bath?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m just looking under my bath tub and have noticed there is what I think is an ideal standard brand mixer unit going off to the hot tap on the bath itself. The pipe on the right is the cold feed and on the left is the hot feed. The house has an unvented mains setup with a megaflo water cylinder in the airing cupboard.

Question I have is why is this on the hot tap for the bath - can you not just have a hot feed connected directly to the tap like I have on my sinks in this bathroom and in the en suite? They are all on mixers in the house so maybe it’s regs?

thanks for looking

Attachments

• 894A893D-0734-42BC-BDEB-789E5B3DAC7D.jpeg
    894A893D-0734-42BC-BDEB-789E5B3DAC7D.jpeg
    239.2 KB · Views: 240
  • FE45D533-1067-4CBA-B559-BD6648EA83AD.jpeg
    FE45D533-1067-4CBA-B559-BD6648EA83AD.jpeg
    199.1 KB · Views: 230
Sponsored Links
It's to limit the temp of the hot water going to the hot water tap to prevent people burning themselves normally used in commercial premises like pubs, clubs, shops etc

It's also fitted if there is a risk a vulnerable person could hurt themselves

They can be adjusted to make the hot water hotter by popping an allen key in the end and turning it towards H

Is that your own property or are you renting?

It's to limit the temp of the hot water going to the hot water tap to prevent people burning themselves normally used in commercial premises like pubs, clubs, shops etc

It's also fitted if there is a risk a vulnerable person could hurt themselves

They can be adjusted to make the hot water hotter by popping an allen key in the end and turning it towards H

Is that your own property or are you renting?

Thanks - no it’s my own property so strange it is there however there was a previous owner here before we purchased so maybe they required it.

I’m thinking of changing the bathroom out so looking into getting rid of this and having a manifold supplying the basin, bath, shower and cystern from one feed. Don’t want to get rid of it if it was there for a reason so maybe the previous owners rented.

Also on a side note I purchased some polyplumb end stops today - managed to locate them locally which means I will sleep better tonight

From around 2010 it's been part of the building regs in England/wales. All new builds or any new bath installs moves/are now required to be fitted with a Thermostatic Mixing Valve - TMV2 ( TMV3 is commercial/NHS spec) - to minimise any scalding risk.

Sponsored Links
From around 2010 it's been part of the building regs in England/wales. All new builds or any new bath installs moves/are now required to be fitted with a Thermostatic Mixing Valve - TMV2 ( TMV3 is commercial/NHS spec) - to minimise any scalding risk.

Ah ok thanks for clarifying better keep it then!

I think it’s just new builds or change of use, eg barn conversion. Don’t think it’s required for a house built prior to 2010 on a like for like. Although op’s looks like a new build - so required.

I think it’s just new builds or change of use, eg barn conversion. Don’t think it’s required for a house built prior to 2010 on a like for like. Although op’s looks like a new build - so required.

yes it’s around 7 years old the house

Don’t think it’s required for a house built prior to 2010 on a like for like

As part of the TMV2 scheme that was introduced into the regs in 2010 it is considered as best practice now to perform a risk assessment when a new bath/bidet/basin is being installed and the supply pipework is being exposed and there's ample opportunity to install.

Of course as a lot of the similar 'retrofitting like for like' stuff, it is advisory and not a legal requirement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back