Mobile apps

E

EddieM

I wonder what the average age of posters is on this site and what does that have to do with mobile apps? Well apparently for us slightly older folk having a smartphone is a bit of a waste of time as we use few to no apps at all.

Personally I use about 4 or 5, but very little of the stuff that comes preloaded, and no many of those preloaded apps cannot be deleted.

What's your app usage like?

Sponsored Links
I have added somewhere in the region of 20 apps of those I probably use 15 regularly(every day or two).

Of the preloaded app(iPhone)I use about 20% regularly.

I use spotify the most, listening to music as I go on my daily 3 mile walk.
Music such as nwa, eminem, black eyed peas, stone roses, cypress hill etc

I am 50 years young. :)

If you only use an App once, does it matter.
I have no idea how many I have on my phone or tablet, I have only ever paid for one.
I have installed a few that I thought were crap & delete them, but I have many that get used only when I go on holiday.
DOB 1948.

I have no idea how many I have on my phone or tablet, I have only ever paid for one.
I have installed a few that I thought were crap & delete them, but I have many that get used only when I go on holiday.
DOB 1948.

Yes, cos they take up space, clutter your screens and unless you disable auto updates are contantly updating which chews your battery up.

Sponsored Links
Spider Solitaire and thats my limit.
As Ed says, keep getting Ads for other games but they use up too much battery power. Space is not a problem as got a 16gb SD card in.

You can put them on screens that you don't use.
Yea auto updates, could be a problem, but not for me.

I wonder what the average age of posters is on this site and what does that have to do with mobile apps? Well apparently for us slightly older folk having a smartphone is a bit of a waste of time as we use few to no apps at all.

Personally I use about 4 or 5, but very little of the stuff that comes preloaded, and no many of those preloaded apps cannot be deleted.

What's your app usage like?

I suspect that I'm one of the most ancient on here (at the ripe old age of 62), yet I use several apps on my smartphone, and a good deal of them more occasionally.

I disagree with one post above, that you cannot delete pre-installed apps. I can, although I don't as taking up space doesn't bother me because the used space on my phone is currently only about a fifth.

Conny, you should try Sudoku as well. Several free apps. They say that playing it regularly keeps your aged mind in trim!

Sudoku hey, keeps the mind trim? May give that a try as most of my apps are navigation based(to get me home?) :)

Best by far has to be WhatsApp, it's free for the first year and then about 60p a year, send messages and photos free through the internet anywhere in the known universe, NB the person receiving it needs to be connected also, I introduced my Polish labouter to it, the next day he comes in all smiles, his brother works in Peru (bloody Poles get everywhere) anyway he had been messaging him ever since.

The other app I use is chess. My phone came with a Nokia map.

One thing I will add, the Samsung Galaxy and similar are so small, its hard to see the screen particularly in sunshine, and if you have fingers like bananas the Nokia Lumia 920 is for you!! A brilliant windows phone, IMO

One of my favourites is Google Maps. Apart from maps, traffic information and 'street view' it is, in effect, a sat nav. Bearing in mind that you pay through the nose to buy a sat nav, and Google Maps is free, it's a no-brainer.

1) bloody Poles get everywhere

2) One thing I will add, the Samsung Galaxy and similar are so small, its hard to see the screen particularly in sunshine, and if you have fingers like bananas the Nokia Lumia 920 is for you!! A brilliant windows phone, IMO

Totally agree(on both points), I have an iPhone which is absolutely brilliant but let down by the small screen.

DOB 1948.

Yes, cos they take up space, clutter your screens and unless you disable auto updates are contantly updating which chews your battery up.

I know this link is iPhone specific but it gives good battery power saving advice. I thought I knew pretty much every way to save power but this is an eye opener.

Maybe of help to some on here.

http://www.payetteforward.com/why-does-my-iphone-battery-die-so-fast-heres-the-real-fix/

As of now, beyond the normal Google stuff inc Maps my phone has :

Flaslight app (seriously, has anyone NOT got one of these on their phone?)
Soundhound (identifies songs for you)
AutoGuard (use your phone as a car dashcam)
Notepad app
Stopwatch / timer app
QR code reader
Tyre Size calculator app
Sudoku game
IP Subnet calculator app
2x Wifi explorer /diagnostics apps
Book/PDF reader

- All freebies :)

Sponsored Links
Back