modern emulsion paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been redecorating hall stairs and landing with a matt emulsion paint. This paint drives me crazy, it is nothig like the paint of 15 years ago, which is on the walls of a cupboard in the hall and which I can wash (nay scrub) without it coming off. The modern paint comes off with a mere damp wipe, and shows very patchy where the light from the landing window shines sideways onto the stairs. I have tried painting this with brushes of different kinds, a roller, and still it makes no difference, and if I try to paint over a bad patch it looks like a hole in the wall. Has the paint really deteriorated in quality over the years, or am I doing something wrong? I have never had this happen before in all my years od decorating. aaaarrhhh....

Sponsored Links
Have tried Crown and Dulux. Have been wondering about using a trade paint. A trade paint must be a different concoction then, and would it go over the existing bog-standard Dulux?

Retail paints are aimed at the diy market and are formulated to be used direct from the tin with no thinning required, Trade paints are thicker and allow the Decorator to thin the paints in order to produce the desired consistency.

Dec

Sponsored Links
Have tried Crown and Dulux. Have been wondering about using a trade paint. A trade paint must be a different concoction then, and would it go over the existing bog-standard Dulux?

Yes it will go over your dulux paint, you will also notice the trade paint will say on the tin vinyl paint. bog stanard just says matt.or silk.

Thanks for that info, I will have one last go at it (abt the 8th time I think!) Any particular brand better/worse than the rest?

Thanks for that info, I will have one last go at it (abt the 8th time I think!) Any particular brand better/worse than the rest?
any top range trade paint will do.
15 years ago nearly all paint tins said vinyl matt or silk.

just completed 3 ceilings,used wickes matt flat white for the first time.
if used neat it does not spread well and finish is poor.
watered it down and it goes on a dream and quick to apply/dry used microfiber medium roller.
have used it neat with a sheepskin long pile roller and results also very good on an uneven ceiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back