Mold under timber floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on the forum so be gentle! I have found so many useful answers on this forum so I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I recently took up some floorboards in the living room of my Victorian house which I bought 9 months ago. I took these up so I could run new pipes for a radiator in the kitchen extension. I found quite a bit of mold under the floor (on the ground), on the bricks and between the bricks which support the joists. It is mostly white at higher level, sort of a powdery sticky consistency. I assume I have or have had a damp problem there.

The mold seems to be confined to the rear wall of the house, behind this wall is the original ground kitchen extension and a side extension which was added by the previous owners. The airbricks at the front of the house are clear but at the back the only airbrick actually vents into the kitchen so don't think it will be getting enough ventilation. The only thing that has changed since I moved in is the old wood and plastic extension roof has been changed to a double glazed conservatory roof.

I am wondering if anyone has seen this type of mold/fungal growth before and could advise me on the best course of action?

Thanks for reading!

Sponsored Links
Looks ok, white is probably effervescence [salts from brickwork].
As long as timber is unaffected little to worry about, you can always splash a bit of bleach around before replacing board.

Yes typical of when extensions with are added yet the ventilation of the existing is not retained/modified You need to increase ventilation to the underfloor areas.

Thanks for the replies chaps. It does look as if it has been damp and as you say it could be that under there. (Doesn't seem to smell) Small amounts of it are yellow but I assume this could be discolouration. Would it be best to remove the majority of it before bleaching and replacing the boards?

Also to increase the ventilation, i will have to probably duct an air brick around to the side wall of the extension. I know this probably isn't as effective as side to side ventilation but is it worth doing or should I get a fan to assist with the air movement?

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't do any harm to remove it before bleaching. You will have to monitor the damp, so probably try to duct it for now and then review say after the winter.

Is there a way to tell for sure if it is one thing or the other? If it is just the salts then as you both say not a problem. But if it is worse I obviously don't want to leave it!

Sounds good to me. Don't want any expensive work before Christmas! Thanks guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back